A carport is needed to serve as a garage in temporary parking places, where simplicity and speed of construction of a structure cost more than any other qualities. At the dachas, in the courtyards of private or multi-storey buildings a carport under the car will be the best possible solution, including thanks to the long list of advantages.
Why precisely canopy?
Like any construction that you can build with your own hands, carports have their advantages.
This is the main advantage and the main purpose - even the simplest carport will protect the car from:
- adverse weather conditions - rain, which can cause rust, hail, can crush metal or damage glass, scorching sun, which can burn the color of the body and seats to almost white;
- seasonal troubles - leaves in autumn, snow in winter, wind in summer;
- animals - no pigeons will get to the car standing under the shed.
Building a garage in the courtyard is not only difficult, but also costly, while a canopy - even if it is a carport for 2 cars or 3 cars - will cost much less.
Ease of parking
You need to drive into the garage, constantly fearing not to fit into the door and taking the time to turn around in the yard. Call under the street canopy is much easier.
With the right approach, the canopy wins in a large closed garage, especially if you do not leave the car under it for the winter.
The canopy for a car with a single-pitch roof (with a gable, however, also) consists of three main parts.
The frame grid consists of pillars and rafters. Supports the roof.
- Wooden. A carport with such a frame may look aesthetic (especially if there is a master carving wood), is easily made and is not too expensive if you do not try to make it from solid oak. However, a carport from a car has some drawbacks: it needs careful maintenance, since untreated wood burns easily, decays and is subject to the influence of a wide variety of biological hazards, from mold to parasites. To prevent this, you need to look for special varnishes and coatings, and repeat the treatment every couple of years.
- Metal. The canopy for a metal car looks no less aesthetically pleasing than a wooden one from logs (especially if it is forged), and it is much more reliable. Properly treated for rust, it will last much longer than wooden awnings. However, it is difficult to make it yourself - specific skills and a welding machine are needed.
- From stone Much more exotic option than, for example, carport from a bar. The pillars are made of brick and the result is reliable and aesthetic in its own way. Requires the ability to lay bricks and mix cement mortar. It can be combined with other options.
Covers the frame. There are many options for it:
- Awning. The simplest and cheapest of the possible solutions, often tent coating is used as a temporary coating. However, with a reliable frame, an awning can be an excellent shelter for a car in the country. Waterproof, does not rustle too loudly, does not let hail pass and will not collapse under the weight of snow. The only minus of the tent is wear out quickly, which often requires replacement.
- Metal tile. Much safer than an awning, while lightweight, reliable and looks like a real tile. Does not need careful transportation, does not require special skills. The only real minus of the roof of the metal - it is absolutely not relevant when it is not about living quarters - it transmits any sound very well.
- Decking. It is also more reliable than an awning, but at the same time a canopy made of it will be less aesthetic than a canopy made of metal tile - in fact, the material is a metal sheet that is whimsically curved for greater strength. Reliable, lightweight, easy to handle, more economical than metal tile (there is practically no waste after it) and it transmits sound just as well.
- Ondulin. Made of cellulose and canopies of it are considered more environmentally friendly than canopies of metal tile or metal profile. It is good to make a gable roof out of it, since it bends easily without breaking. Light, reliable, does not require special skills, resistant to moisture, but combustible and quickly fade.
- Slate. A canopy made from it will be cheaper than a canopy made of metal profiles, equally light and easy to install, but at the same time slate is more fragile, contains asbestos, which is dangerous for humans and sensitive to the effects of moisture.
- Metal profile The canopy of the metal profile will be elegant and cheap, but it will have to be processed so that it does not rust. In addition, like any metallic materials, it conducts sound well.
- Polycarbonate. Polycarbonate canopies for cars from it are even more elegant than from metal profiles due to the huge variety of colors and the ability to partially transmit sunlight. In addition, the carport made of polycarbonate is immune to neither water nor fire nor to biological stimuli, it bends easily and is simply mounted. The only negative is thermal expansion. Carports under a polycarbonate machine tend to expand when the weather is hot, which is why you need to take care of special screws and wide holes for them during installation, otherwise the roof will quickly crack.
It depends on the materials, how the canopy will look at the site, how much it will stand and how safe the car will be under it. When drafting a house with a carport, materials need to think almost first of all.
Asking questions about how to make a carport or how to build a carport, you should take into account several important things at once.
The overall design, and you need to decide on it before you start to make a carport for the car to the country with your own hands. Canopy can be different:
- attached to the wall on one side and open from the other three or fully open - its reliability, aesthetics, and the need to make sound insulation depend on it;
- can be one-storey or two-storey - on the second floor you can arrange a gazebo or store the necessary trifles, without which not a single summer cottage will do.
Roof construction can be:
- a shed or a gable canopy - and not only the aesthetic side of the issue depends on this, but also how well moisture will drain from the roof;
- canopy with or without visor - under the visor you can place the necessary things, one way or another related to the car.
General location. The parking shed should be located:
- under a very slight slope - enough for the water to flow, but too small for the car in the yard to be placed on the handbrake;
- in the shade - not necessarily complete, but sufficient so that the roofing material does not fade (especially true for plastic roofing and slate).
Dimensions. It depends on them how much it will be expensive to build a carport with their own hands and how convenient it will be to drive under it:
- the height should be one meter higher than the car, along with the upper trunk - if you make it bigger, it will fall inside, if less - the car will not be able to fit properly;
- the length must be one meter longer than the length of the car itself;
- width should be two meters more.
As a result, the house with a carport will be made according to all standards, and it will not be clear that the owner had to figure out for a long time how to make a carport with his own hands. Attention to detail, accuracy and compliance with the rules will make this possible.