Stretch ceilings are a modern trend, a tribute to fashion, but apart from beauty, they also have the ability to successfully resist floods, and this will already be of great practical importance if the neighbors have a top, for example, problems with plumbing or during a heavy rain the roof suddenly begins to leak your house.
Unexpected water in the apartment, even the code it does not pour on top of the stream, but only falls in separate drops, can completely spoil the results of the new repair, and recently purchased expensive furniture. However, in cases where you have mounted a suspended ceiling, everything may not be so disastrous.
Some firms specializing in the installation of suspended and stretch-type ceilings praise the latter, attributing to them the ability to hold water, but this statement is only partly true - it all depends on the web material used in the fabrication of the stretch ceiling. If it is a fabric with a special waterproof impregnation, then in this case the water resistance of such a cloth is a very relative concept. The fabric ceiling is able to resist flooding for some time, but after an hour or two, the liquid will inevitably begin to ooze through its surface.
The vinyl ceiling has a remarkable property: if you flush the water out of it, it can restore its shape.
What to do when you find water on a stretch ceiling?
First of all, you need to turn off the electricity in the apartment by removing the plugs or setting all the toggle switches of the shutdown switches to the OFF position on the switchboard.
The next mandatory event is to establish the cause of flooding and stop the development of the flood. It may be necessary to seek help not only from neighbors, but also from public utilities or even from the Emergencies Ministry staff.
What to do next?
- Seal the furniture with any non-leaking film, such as plastic.
- Take out valuable items and expensive equipment from a room that has been flooded.
- Call the company that installed your stretch ceiling: its specialists installed the ceiling, and therefore they know best of all its design features and the specifics of your room (the size of the room, the location of the electric wire, the ways of fixing lighting fixtures).
Through the corner
There may be a situation where you need to immediately begin draining water from the ceiling. If there are no lamps on the ceiling, then you can try to drain the water through the angle closest to the “bubble”. To do this, remove the baseboard by prying it, for example, with a screwdriver and using a trowel to pull a piece of cloth out of the baguette. Do not forget to stock up on a pair of buckets or large basins for receiving pouring water. At the same time, the water should be carefully “adjusted” to the place of discharge by hand or with the wide end of the mop. The complexity of this method lies in the fact that it is necessary, while balancing on a table, chair or stepladder, to work with a heavy canvas for quite a long time.
Through the holes in which the lighting is inserted
Drainage of water from the stretch ceiling is possible even if there are holes in the canvas for ceiling lights. To perform this procedure:
- remove the lamp, which is closest to the "bubble";
- Insert a rubber hose of sufficient length into the hole and lower its second end into a previously prepared water tank;
- drain the water, then dismantle the rest of the lamps;
- after they and the ceiling dry, you can install all the sources of light in their former places.
A few tips for those who try to independently carry out the repair of suspended ceilings after the bay:
- Start with a power outage: water that gets on the wires and lamps can cause a short circuit that could cause a fire.
- You can not try to pierce the vinyl ceiling, hoping that through the "little hole" the water will gently drain into the substituted bucket. Under the powerful pressure of water, a small hole can turn into a "huge hole", or a "inflated" canvas can generally burst like a balloon when trying to pierce it with a thin needle. In this case, the repair of the ceiling can be carried out only by replacing its old cloth with a new one.
- It is not recommended to arrange "waves" in a small bay and try, without pouring out water, just to distribute it inside the surface of the canvas. The remaining moisture can cause the development of fungi and mold in the sub-ceiling space, which in turn can harm the health of residents.
- Do not attempt to dry the ceiling with a household hair dryer to restore its original smooth surface. It's useless. Such work can be performed only with the use of professional equipment: a building hair dryer or an industrial heat gun.
- It is necessary to properly assess the extent of the problem. With a large amount of water, you may need not only professional drying of the PVC fabric, but also the concrete ceiling itself, as well as the treatment of all elements and surfaces with antiseptics. It may also be necessary to restore the plaster, so that its collapsed and damaged pieces do not “shine” through the translucent or transparent canvas, if you have it.
- It should be extremely careful when working with boiling water. This is dangerous and unhealthy, especially if you do not have thermal gloves.
- It is worth asking for help from specialists even if water has accumulated on the seam of the cloth or caused such a strong sagging that the canvas is dangerously close to the sharp corners of the cabinets or shelves.
Thus, you should not drain the water yourself from the ceiling, because, most likely, you do not have the necessary equipment. If serious mistakes are made when working, the ceiling can become non-repairable, and the huge volumes spilled on the floor already in your water can cause flooding from below because of your neighbors, who will probably not only be very dissatisfied, but also will present their financial claims.