Vinyl floor tile was invented back in the thirties of the last century, but it became widespread only after the war, standing on a par with such materials as linoleum, laminate, natural stone coating. There are many varieties of it, all sorts of colors and sizes, but any tile - from the one that was made almost a hundred years ago to the modern one - consists of three main layers:
- The main layer. It is the basis on which the main layers are held. It can consist of polyvinyl chloride, vinyl, quartz, mixed in different proportions and supplemented with useful impurities. It is easily bent, but strong enough so that the tile does not break.
- Decorative layer. It is a field on which the most bizarre design solutions can be deployed. The combination of dyes allows you to give the coating any color, additional impurities can provide texture. It is this layer that allows laid on the floor tile to turn it into the sea, into sand, into grass or into an abstract fantasy.
- Protective layer. It is a shield separating the decorative layer from the aggressive external environment. It includes plastic compounds that make the coating insensitive to mechanical stress, moisture, and abrasion.
If we are talking about self-adhesive tiles, then another adhesive layer is added to the others, which is located below the base layer. It is necessary so that the tiles can be easily laid on the floor, without worrying about mixing special glue and all the problems that may arise with it.
Vinyl floor tiles are made according to this, the same, the principle of the combined layers. The pros and cons of all types also coincide.
Vinyl floor tiles have a number of advantages that distinguish it from the list of other coatings - it is easier to install than laminate, cheaper than natural stone, has a longer service life than linoleum. When it comes to floor vinyl tiles, it is customary to single out the following advantages:
- Long service life. Like any artificial material, PVC floor tiles can serve for many years - different manufacturers give a guarantee for different periods, but rarely it is less than ten years.
- Ecological purity. Vinyl tiles are absolutely safe for human and animal health. It does not emit harmful compounds, is not poisonous and cannot cause allergies. Due to this, all the abundance of its varieties can be stowed even in the nursery.
- Resistance to temperature changes. For self-adhesive tiles, the permissible temperature range is very wide - from minus forty to plus eighty. Even in the hottest parts of the country the tile will not melt, in the coldest it will not freeze. Moreover, the covering can be applied together with a heat-insulated floor.
- Abrasion resistance. Any coating that is walked gradually wears down, loses color and crumbles. PVC vinyl tiles are not an exception, but due to the presence of quartz sand or crumb minerals, the process is slow. Significantly slower than using laminate or linoleum.
- Resistance to mechanical stress. Vinyl tiles for the kitchen, where things often fall, real salvation. It is resistant not only to abrasion, but also to shock.
- Resistant to moisture. Vinyl tiles for the bathroom - the perfect solution, because even the highest concentration of water in the air can not damage the coating.
- UV resistant. Almost all coatings fade with time - and laminate, and linoleum, and even wood, but the vinyl tile does not change, even if placed in a bright sun.
- Roughness. Compared with tile, vinyl floor tiles are much more suitable option. It is impossible to slip on it with such ease.
- Ease of care. Vinyl tiles are easy to clean - no less than any modern coating.
- Ease of repair. Laminate must be removed completely, linoleum, too, or re-glue ugly pieces. There is no such problem with tiles - it is enough to remove the damaged element and replace it with a new one.
- The ease of the tile itself. Transportation of the material does not require much effort - and the weight, which ultimately falls on the plate, is insignificant.
- A variety of designs. Tile is of any color, bears patterns and patterns, imitates sea, grass, sky. Moreover, you can always order an individual design, which in the interior will look as advantageous as possible and, having laid that, it will be possible to pass for the original and a person with good taste.
- Easy installation. The tile is made so that any person can put it - even the one who never was engaged in construction. As the basis of any coating, the tile thickness is so small that the ceiling height ceases to play a role. If necessary, the elements can be cut with a simple knife, thanks to which laying of vinyl tiles is possible even in the most inaccessible places.
Flexible vinyl tile allows you to decorate any room - suitable vinyl tile for bathroom walls, for kitchens and partitions between rooms. There are only a small number of deficiencies that should be considered.
The disadvantages of tiles are not as numerous as their merits, but in certain circumstances they may outweigh. Among them are usually called:
- Price. Cheap varieties do not serve well, require special care in laying and can swell at the seams. Dear species are easier to fit, but not every owner can afford them.
- The need for accuracy at certain stages of work. The crooked tile will look crooked; an insufficiently ironed tile may swell and form hummocks. The beauty and relevance in the interior of the tile flooring is achieved only if the laying of vinyl tiles was in accordance with all the rules.
The rest of the tiles lacks flaws. It is not inherent in the noble ebb of the tree, it is not as reliable as stone, but in its niche, properly laid and in harmony with the interior, it can become a real decoration of the house.
There are many options for tiles - self-adhesive vinyl tile, household, pressed. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages.
According to the characteristics in operation stands out:
- Household tile. It is suitable for residential premises with a small cross - that is, those where people do not walk constantly by several people. Such tiles can be put in the kitchen, in the bedroom, in the nursery - in fact, any residential area in an apartment is characterized as a room with a small cross.
- Commercial tile. It makes sense to engage in the installation of this type only if people constantly walk along the floor from it. Such tiles are placed in offices, in shopping centers, in large stores - in rooms that are large in size and which are constantly being passed through by crowds.
- Tile special purpose. It is used exclusively in large premises, in which conditions imply constant intensive use. Sports halls, dance halls, production halls - in a residential area such tiles can serve for decades, but this makes little sense. The loads are too small and the price is too high.
According to the method of laying out:
- Tile with a lock. Tile with a castle connection is equipped with a special mechanism - on some tiles there are "spikes", on the other "grooves" in which the "spikes" are fixed. It is very easy to put such a tile, even in a short time, but it cannot be used as flexibly as self-adhesive. To cut one tile, to give it the desired shape will not work - a device with an adhesive lock will not allow.
- The tile is self-adhesive. Self-adhesive tiles have a special layer that allows you to glue it to any non-rough coating, simply by removing the protective film. Such a tile can be cut - an advantage that any ceramic tile lacks - can be laid while bending. The main thing - to ensure adequate fit, otherwise the coating can come off.
- Glue tile. This option is used when the builder has the experience and time. It has all the advantages of other varieties, but it fits on a special glue that you need to pre-cook. It requires accuracy, accuracy and calculation, but in the end it always looks good.
Depending on how experienced the one who puts the tiles, and how much he is free in money, choose the appropriate option. However, it should be remembered that it is not enough to choose the ideal coverage - you also need to know how to position it.
It is not enough to figure out how to lay tiles - you also need to know where to lay. Most often it is used:
- In the bathrooms. The tile is not sensitive to moisture, does not deteriorate due to temperature changes. If it is laid correctly and there are almost no joints between it, you can even not use the rug, getting out of the bathroom - you will not be able to slip anyway, due to the roughness of the material.
- In the kitchens. On the kitchen floor constantly something falls, spills sweet or brand liquid, flour crumbles. Removing all of this from the vinyl tile is very simple - and nothing will cause her damage or change her appearance.
- In the nursery. Small children often spill something, drop it, the most unpleasant surprises happen around them. The floor of the vinyl tile will not damage any of this - and the child will not be able to slip and fall, which is also important.
- In the hallways and corridors. In a place where all incoming are heard and where you constantly need to wash, vinyl tile is more appropriate than ever. The main thing is that it is not white, otherwise you will have to carry out cleaning all the time.
In addition to placement, proper care is also important. The tile is undemanding, but it can remain truly bright, attractive and aesthetic only if it is properly looked after.
It is necessary:
- Wash. The usual wet cloth, without damaging the tile, will remove all dirt and debris from it. You can also use a vacuum cleaner or a broom. After wet cleaning it is important to gently wipe the tiles with a dry cloth.
- Use specialized tools. There are vinyl washing fluids that will make the tile as clean as possible. They should be used, and not aggressive agents and bleaches (their use will not be beneficial, even if the tile itself is white).
Vinyl tile is an excellent material that is suitable for almost all rooms where reliability, durability and attractive appearance are needed. The main thing - to choose the right type and avoid mistakes when laying.